"Great minds discuss ideas;
average minds discuss events;
small minds discuss people."
Eleanor Roosevelt

November 25, 2009

The day before Thanksgiving

Today has been a very harried and active day. Everything is all set to be popped into the oven. Turkey, mashed potatoes, suffing, candied sweet potatoes, acorn squash and gravy from the drippings. Very traditional but oh so satisfiing.

The smell of baking cookies is presently in the air. My oldest DD has the weekend off from the US Army and arrived home earlier this evening. She is only about 75 miles away from home...how many soldiers can say that. her contribution to the feast is White Chocolate Macadamia nut cookies. Her SO made a New York style cheesecake.

DD #2 is making a no-bake double layer pumpkin pie. She had a test run at it last night as she had to bring in a desert for her Dental Assistant classmates. It both looked and tasted great.

The DS spent his day off from high School making Sugar cookies. Simple ones that were cut into circles, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and baked. Yummy!

DD #3 had already made her contribution last weekend...She and I made three kinds of cookies...8 batches of dough frozen in one gallon ice cream buckets...simple ones;oatmeal rasin, chocolate chip, and peanut butter. We ended up makeing a nineth batch and baking them up. Those are gone already (who would have thought that 5 people could eat 3 dozen cookies in less than a week? LOL). Since the efforst of last weekend were consumed she made a graham layer bar that is an old family favorite passed down from my mother's mother.

My SM got the turkey all set to go. It is a good thing that the weather here is staying in the low to mid 30's F. We were able to season and bag the bird and then set it in the roaster on the inclosed porch. It will be quite safe there as it is supposed to dip down into the low 20's F overnight.

As for me I was the supervisor of the kitchen. Between batches of cookies and bars I tried to get in some crochet work. I began a treetop angel that I plan to give to my neighbor, Ms. Liz. She is a fistey widowed 84 year old woman who still throws logs down into the basement to feed her wood stove. I love her dearly. She reminds me of my Grandmother.  Anyway, I finished the head and began the first round of her neck and shoulders.

Tomorrow there will be 8 of us here: me, my SM, DD #1 and her SF, DD #2 and her SM, DS and DD #3. All of the family together again makes the nest feel full and brings a glow to mommy.

Happy Thanksgiving to All of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment